Evan Sachs Pleads Guilty to Attempted Murder for Stabbing 8-Year-Old Boy in the Back Judge promises Sachs a sentence of 14 years in prison

MINEOLA, NY – Nassau County District Attorney Kathleen Rice announced today that a Merrick man who stabbed an eight-year-old boy in the back at a Westbury arcade has pleaded guilty to attempted murder and assault charges.

Evan Sachs, 23, pleaded guilty to Attempted Murder in the Second Degree and Assault in the Second Degree after the court promised to sentence him to 14 years in prison. He will be sentenced on September 8. The DA’s Office recommended the maximum allowable sentence of 25 years in prison.

Rice said that at approximately 8:25 p.m. on October 8, 2010, Sachs used a folding knife to stab an eight-year-old boy in the back five times as the boy stood in front of a video game at Dave & Buster’s in Westbury.

Sachs then ran into the bathroom where he was subdued by the victim’s father and another witness until police arrived. A note that Sachs had written and put in his pocket before the attack indicated that he had been planning to kill a child. The victim, now nine years old, suffered a partially-collapsed lung in the attack but has since recovered from his injuries.

“This brutal attack could have turned out much worse if the defendant’s true intentions had been realized,” Rice said. “Luckily they weren’t, and this brave young boy has a long life ahead of him. My office will continue to push for Mr. Sachs to serve the maximum allowable prison sentence.”

Chief Mitchell Benson and Assistant District Attorney Melissa Lewis of the Major Offense Bureau are prosecuting the case for the DA’s Office. Sachs is represented by Michael Soshnick, Esq.

Comments

Popular Posts