Terrance Kynn Mcguire, Was Sentenced to 500 Months in Prison for Kidnapping 10-Year-Old Girl

OKLAHOMA CITY—Late yesterday, TERRANCE LYNN MCGUIRE, 27, of Canyon, Texas, was sentenced to 500 months in federal prison for kidnapping a 10-year-old girl and transporting her from Oklahoma to Texas to New Mexico, announced Sanford C. Coats, United States Attorney for the Western District of Oklahoma.

“The protection of our children is, and will remain, a top priority of the United States Attorney's Office and the Department of Justice as a whole," said U.S. Attorney Sanford C. Coats. "These tragic and complicated cases require the cooperative effort of federal, state and local law enforcement. That was certainly true with this case, and I commend the diligent work of all law enforcement involved in bringing Mr. McGuire to justice. As a result of this fine work, Mr. McGuire will not victimize another child for more than 41 years.”

According to court records, on January 18, 2007, the minor victim was riding her bicycle near her home in Texhoma, Oklahoma, when at approximately 6:30 p.m. a man stopped to ask for directions and lured the girl into his car. The man, later identified to be Terrance Lynn McGuire, threatened the girl, put a mask over her head, bound her arms, taped her mouth shut, and placed her in the trunk of his car. McGuire drove to Dumas, Texas, and then to his house in Canyon, Texas. The following day, on January 19, 2007, McGuire drove to a convenience store in Clovis, New Mexico, where he released the girl. She notified store employees who immediately called authorities.

In June 2009, McGuire was identified as the perpetrator of the kidnapping based on a tip provided to the Federal Bureau of Investigation. McGuire was arrested without incident on August 7, 2009, in Canyon, Texas, by the FBI and Canyon Police Department. On September 15, 2009, McGuire pled guilty to one count of kidnapping and transporting the victim across state lines.

Late yesterday, Chief United States District Judge Vicki Miles-LaGrange sentenced McGuire to 500 months in prison, followed by five years of supervised release after his release from prison. McGuire will be required to register as a sex offender when he is released from prison. Chief Judge Miles-LaGrange also ordered McGuire to pay restitution to the victim and to the Oklahoma Crime Victims Compensation Board in the amount of $7,335.70.

This case is a result of an investigation conducted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Texas County Sheriff’s Office, Texhoma Police Department, Texas County District Attorney’s Office, Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation, Guymon Police Department, Oklahoma Highway Patrol, Clovis Police Department, and Canyon Police Department. The case was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorneys Dave Walling, Lee Borden, and Chris M. Stephens.