Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance, Jr., today announced a guilty verdict against LONDELL SQUIRE, 23, for the 2009 murder of Omar Trent, a party promoter on a boat anchored at South Street Seaport. A jury found SQUIRE guilty of Murder in the Second Degree and Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the Second Degree. On May 17, 2011, SQUIRE will be sentenced in New York State Supreme Court in Manhattan.

"The defendant made a calculated decision to shoot and kill Mr. Trent," District Attorney Vance said. "I commend the jury for its careful attention and service in this case."

As proven at trial, on August 22, 2009, Omar Trent was at a party on a boat docked at the South Street Seaport when several fights broke out and caused many of the 400 guests to rush off the boat. SQUIRE also ran off of the boat, but went to his car to retrieve his gun. He was heading back toward the boat when he encountered Trent, whom he recognized as having been involved in the fight. After recognizing Trent, SQUIRE immediately pulled out his gun and shot Trent once in the head. Trent was pronounced dead at the scene by EMTs. Witnesses to the shooting saw SQUIRE fleeing in a Dodge Caravan and were able to get the license plate number, which was registered to SQUIRE.

Initial efforts by Detectives of the First Precinct and the Manhattan South Homicide Squad to locate SQUIRE at his home in the East Flatbush section of Brooklyn were unsuccessful, but police later learned that SQUIRE was hiding out in Petersburg, Virginia. He was located and arrested there in October 2009.

District Attorney Vance thanked Assistant District Attorneys David Drucker and Mao Yu Lin, who prosecuted the case under the supervision of Warren Murray, Chief of Trial Bureau 50.

Defendant Information:

LONDELL SQUIRE, D.O.B. 12/12/1987
Brooklyn, NY


Murder in the Second Degree, a class A felony, one count
Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the Second Degree, a class C felony, two counts

A class A felony is punishable by up to life in prison, and a class C felony is punishable by up to 15 years in prison.