HSI investigation leads to the extradition of Chinese gang leader accused of double murder

NEW YORK - A Chinese gang leader was extradited from Canada to face charges of murdering two individuals in a Queens nightclub in 2004. This extradition is the result of an extensive investigation led by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations (HSI), with the assistance of the following law enforcement partners: HSI's attaché in Toronto; the Toronto Police Service; the Royal Canadian Mounted Police; the New York City Police Department (NYPD); the U.S. Marshals Service; and the U.S. Department of Justice's Criminal Division, Office of International Affairs.

Xing Lin, a Chinese national, was arrested in Toronto on April 14, and arrived in New York on Aug. 19. Lin was charged along with another individual, Hao Chao, in an indictment that was unsealed in Manhattan federal court on Monday.

"This extradition embodies HSI's resolve to bring an alleged cold hearted murderer to justice, no matter where in the world he tried to hide," said James T. Hayes, Jr., special agent in charge of HSI in New York. "I commend HSI's Violent Gang Unit, our attaché in Toronto, the NYPD, and our international law enforcement partners for closing the chapter on this cold case."

"Xing Lin believed that by fleeing the country he could evade the consequences of the deadly crimes he allegedly committed in connection with a gangland turf battle," said U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara, Southern District of New York. "It took 11 years, but thanks to the cooperative efforts of our law enforcement partners here and in Canada, he will now be brought to justice."

According to court documents, Lin, a gang leader in New York City's Chinese community, owned various businesses including unlicensed bus services and illegal gambling parlors. On several occasions, Lin had violent confrontations with rival bus company owners and rival gambling parlor owners, including one incident where he stabbed a competitor, who in turn shot him.

In the summer of 2004, Lin was involved in an ongoing dispute with Chang Qin Zhou, a rival bus company owner, over division of territory and clientele in the bus business. Lin threatened and assaulted Zhou in an effort to force him to relinquish certain territory and clientele.

On July 30, 2004, Lin learned that Zhou was in a private room at a nightclub in Queens. Lin and Chao, a member of his gang, entered the room and Lin told Chao to "finish him."

Chao then shot Zhou numerous times in the torso at close range, emptying his gun's chamber and killing him. In the process of shooting at Zhou, Chao shot and killed a young waitress who was caught in the crossfire. Chao also shot and wounded another waitress.

If convicted, Lin faces life in prison.